Thursday, April 14, 2011

Intervals from Hammond to Bogalusa , LA

55 miles, flat, 77 degrees
  The culture of Louisiana is to let dogs run  loose which today provided opportunities to do intervals as you try to out run them. You can get really mad at the owners as this creates quite a hazard for cyclists. You don't really want to get bitten or have them get hit a wheel but you don't want to veer into traffic either. Personally, I go into the interval mode and basically go faster than they can run while holding a line to the right so I don't have traffic bearing down on me.
  It's unfortunate because while all this is going on, you don't really get to enjoy some beautiful riding. I was riding with three others today and one was a recumbent and the dog was basically at eye level. Who knows, maybe he is a lap dog and saw an opportunity.
  The four of us arrived safe and sound by noon and are happy to have the time to relax.

1 comment:

  1. I have never understood the dog thing in LA - everyone seems to want one and has one (or more) but they don't seem to care too much about their health or safety. Weird. Glad no one got hurt today.

    There is a little yappy dog on one of my routes that chases me. At 13 mph he can run and bark. At 13.5mph he can run OR bark. At 15mph he is eating dust. Unfortunately when he is intent on chasing me, he doesn't watch for cars, he will get hit one of these days.

    ReplyDelete