Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pacific Coast Riding Day 3, Bremerton to Elma, WA

69 miles, 2,800' of elevation gain, temp range 52 - 62 overcast but dry
   The overcast skies were a good thing as it  kept the morning temps warmer than they had been. Within 2 miles of the start hotel, there was a climb of over 20% which no one even attempted. Once past that irritant, the ride became quite beautiful with lots of water views and homes well out of my price range. As it was early Saturday morning, the traffic was really light. As the day went on, we were on such quiet roads, vehicles were never much of a problem.
   We were rolling along next to a lake, when we had to make a left onto Trails Road with a warning of a steep climb. Some of the riders ahead of me made the mistake of stopping at the bottom of the hill. Whatever little momentum I had I was not willing to give up so I just got on the hill and went for it. I am currently using the Garmin 800 which gives me navigation but also gives me the % of incline. The bottom of the hill started at 9% went to 12 then to 15 to 18 and then I wasn't going fast enough to get an accurate reading. If I sat the front wheel was losing traction but if I stood the  back wheel did likewise so I had to try to keep an equal amount of weight on each wheel. Not easy. I was pushing and pulling on the pedals as much as possible and pulling on the handlebars to the point that several finger cramped. I was way beyond the F word before the mile climb.Eventually, I did get to the top. I was one of the few that didn't walk and was happy that I made it.
   Rode along Mason Lake as well as many other fresh water lakes. We did find a cute coffee house and had a latte while taking in the sights.
   As it turned out, the hotel didn't have enough double rooms so I'm in a single. What a great treat.
   I use Ride with GPS to map out the next day's ride and download onto my Garmin. It has worked out great for me as I don't have to deal with paper directions and it beeps at me if I start to go the wrong way. Didn't really need it on the Southern Tier ride as it was pretty straight forward, but this ride has many turns and sometimes the signs are missing.
   Tomorrow should be good weather.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment