Sunday, March 27, 2011

Will Texas ever end,? Sanderson to Del Rio

113 miles, 3000' elevation gain, 94 degrees.
  Okay, I could be done with West Texas after today. Hot, scenery is repetitive and the chip seal got old several days ago. This was the longest ride scheduled for this tour and I am glad to have done the ride under so much heat and some head wind. I practically fell off the bike when I got to the hotel with my leg muscles trembling and not wanting to leave the air conditioning since arriving. Barely got dinner down when I needed to come back to the room to crash. This was a tough day!!  We started out as a 5 some and things looked pretty good with us getting to the lunch stop, mile 60 by noon. The heat, however, started to get intense and I made a very short lunch stop and went off on my own and arrived at 4:30. The only thing I can say about today is that it is over and hopefully will have a short easy day tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing the ride - that is an accomplishment under any conditions. Doing in west Texas, on chip seal and in the heat is remarkable. Hope you get the rest your body needs and that tomorrow is a prettier day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pay-back for the tail winds in recent days. Congratulations on finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the worst day of the trip. Several of our strongest riders got in the van close to heat stroke. Only five (I think) of the group made it all the way. I was an early drop-out because I wanted to see the Judge Roy Parker (have I got that right?) Museum. Can't do it all. I decided to go for the history.

    ReplyDelete